Data scientists work to understand business problems and translate them into testable hypotheses for which analysis can be conducted. As a data scientist at Techmodal you will be working on a broad range of projects as part of a multi-disciplinary team. You will be utilising cutting edge machine learning techniques and an analytical mindset to deliver insight to clients. Projects range from data exploration and visualisation, to integrating algorithms into software and developing data processing pipelines. You will be driven to explore new tools and techniques
The successful candidate will have the following experience:
- A degree or equivalent practical experience in a relevant numerate discipline such as maths, physics, economics, engineering, or similar.
- Significant (3yrs +) experience of applying statistical and machine learning techniques to large, complex datasets to solve business challenges.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills including experience of stakeholder management
- Programming and data handling experience in Python or similar.
- Developed data science solutions to real world problems, from proof of concept to delivery.
- Experience of developing and deploying deep learning and neural network algorithms
- Working with unstructured data sources such as images, video and text
Experience with some of the below would be desirable:
- Working with Python application frameworks such as Django, Flask.
- Preparing / managing infrastructure with DevOps practices.
- Working with Agile project delivery methods.
- Experience of relational databases, e.g. SQL, Oracle.
- Defence industry experience.
- Experience using BI tools, such as PowerBI or Tableau.
- Experience of version control (git) and CI/CD development approaches
- DV cleared would be desirable
Hybrid working and Travel.
We offer a flexible approach to working in the office, working remotely and from client sites, whilst we try to minimise travel whenever possible, our consultants do sometimes travel to various client sites across the UK at the clients request.
We have a shared work ethic to go above and beyond for our customers, but we also like to have fun and reward hard work. With our teams currently working remotely, we are doing everything we can to ensure staff wellbeing and to keep up our regular staff socials virtually.
Our selection of lifestyle benefits and perks are regularly reviewed to ensure that there is something to suit everyone:
- Competitive Salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Contributory Pension
- 25 Days Annual Leave + Bank Holidays
- Additional day off for your Birthday
- Opportunity to purchase up to 5 days additional days Annual leave
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance paying 4 x salary
- Option to join the BAE Share Incentive Plan
- Generous sick pay
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption & Shared Parental Leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular staff socials
- Free daily fruit in the office
Nationality limitations: Techmodal, as part of BAE Systems is an inclusive employer, and we actively encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. A diverse team brings different perspectives and ideas, and fuels innovation. However, due to the nature of our business many of our roles require both security and export control restrictions. Therefore, your current or any previous nationality and/or your place of birth may limit the roles that you can carry out for us. Any such restrictions will be highlighted in the recruitment process. No agencies please.
Techmodal are a rapidly growing Applied Data Science and Technology business based in Bristol, UK. In 2020 we were acquired by BAE Systems, giving us access to a whole range of other exciting opportunities, while retaining our own identity. These are really exciting times for us and it’s a great time to join the team.
As one of the leading providers of data driven decision support within the Defence, Commercial and Public Sectors we offer specialist skills across supply chain, finance and personnel. We have grown over 30% each year for the last five years and our team of 170+ is still growing.
Our people are the lifeblood of our business which is why we put so much energy into making sure every single person has the opportunity to tailor their career and succeed in the way they want to. Whilst we have a big business mentality we have successfully maintained our small business culture, which means you’ll join a close-knit team of like-minded people to help support and progress you through your career with us.
perks of the job
Take a look through our benefits brochure for a full overview of the perks you can expect to enjoy.