We have an exciting opportunity for a User Researcher to join our growing business. We are a rapidly growing Applied Data Science and Technology business based in Bristol, UK. In 2020 we were acquired by BAE Systems, giving us access to a whole range of other exciting opportunities, while retaining our own identity. These are really exciting times for us and it’s a great time to join the team.
Overview of the role:
We are looking for an experienced User Researcher to support us in understanding our users needs through our agile lifecycle, supporting our government and defence clients transform their business with innovative data science, software and digital technology.
We help our customers by providing insights and solutions to enable the successful delivery of their objectives. We apply Agile methodology to deliver tangible value from software and digital technology projects, whilst championing the practical application of best practice standards and frameworks, e.g. GDS and DDaT.
Our ideal candidate will be capable of planning, designing and carrying our research activities with users that help teams get a deep understanding of the people that use our services. This research will inform product, service, content and interaction design that services work well for users and deliver the required benefits.
Candidate experience required:
- Experience of a range of user research methodologies and the ability to choose appropriate methods for different life cycle phases and situations.
- Knowledge of the technologies used to build and operate digital services.
- Understanding of the different technical roles in a digital agile team.
- Experience of working in multi-disciplinary teams to embed user-centred design practices and deliver continuous user research.
- Experience of advocating user research and engaging sceptical colleagues and stakeholders in research findings.
- Experience of aligning user research activities with organisational strategy and objectives, to help inform decision-making.
- Understanding the difference between user needs and desires of the user.
- Involvement in sketching, prototyping and user testing, including handoffs to the design onto the development team.
- Puts users at the centre of a design to make it simple, easy to use and attractive.
- Ability to present and articulate user research, needs and findings effectively to the wider product team and back to the business users.
- Assisting with the documentation of features, specifications, use-cases and user-stories into practical guides for development teams and peers to follow.
The successful candidate will have:
- 4+ years’ experience in roles or fields associated with user research.
- Lived client facing consulting skills.
- Experience working in Agile environments to deliver outcomes.
- Hold live, or be eligible to obtain Security Clearance, with at least 5 years’ UK residency.
Whilst we try to minimise travel whenever possible and promote remote working, our consultants do sometimes travel to various client sites across the UK. We will cover all expenses whilst you are away and make sure you are well looked after.
Given Techmodal’s increasing level of work in and around the Portsmouth area, we are looking for candidates who are able to spend 2 or 3 days in Portsmouth per week and ideally on a daily commutable basis so as to enable flexibility for client needs.
Remote working during Covid-19
We are closely monitoring government guidelines during the pandemic to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our staff. At present most of our teams are working from home and only travelling to the office and client site when appropriate. All new starters joining the business will do so on a ‘temporary remote’ basis until it is safe to return to the office and our usual working practices.
We have a shared work ethic to go above and beyond for our customers, but we also like to have fun and reward hard work. With our teams currently working remotely, we are doing everything we can to ensure staff wellbeing and to keep up our regular staff socials virtually.
Our selection of lifestyle benefits and perks are regularly reviewed to ensure that there is something to suit everyone:
- Competitive Salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Contributory Pension
- 25 Days Annual Leave + Bank Holidays
- Additional day off for your Birthday
- Option to join the BAE Systems Share Incentive Plan
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance paying 4 x salary
- Generous sick pay
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption & Shared Parental Leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular staff socials
- Free daily fruit in the office
Please note that due to the nature of our work, we require all candidates to be eligible to successfully complete National Security Vetting.
To apply, please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No agencies please.
As one of the leading providers of data driven decision support within the Defence, Commercial and Public Sectors we offer specialist skills across supply chain, finance and personnel. We have grown over 30% each year for the last five years and our team of 160+ is still growing.
Our people are the lifeblood of our business which is why we put so much energy into making sure every single person has the opportunity to tailor their career and succeed in the way they want to. Whilst we have a big business mentality we have successfully maintained our small business culture, which means you’ll join a close-knit team of like-minded people to help support and progress you through your career with us.
perks of the job
Take a look through our benefits brochure for a full overview of the perks you can expect to enjoy.