Our data engineers work with data that is difficult to handle until it’s always insight ready. We design, build, and support robust, sustainable pipelines using either on-premises or cloud technologies to enable our clients’ data insight needs.
As a Senior Data Engineer, you will be responsible for designing, building and maintaining solutions within customer environments, working within a variety of diverse and exciting industries and projects.
You will be a mentor for other data engineers and provide guidance, support and oversight for junior team members. You will work alongside other data engineers, data analysts and data scientists and be a key figure in developing the data engineering capability within Techmodal.
You will be a driven individual, who can work both autonomously and as part of a multi-disciplinary team and aims to continuously develop skills through training and certification.
As a growing capability, we are open to a diverse range of experience and are always interested in hearing from talented, technical individuals who want to work in a sociable, thriving community and make an impact. Your experience delivering solutions into customer environments will be crucial to help grow this team.
The successful candidate will have:
- Strong experience of working in a data engineering role
- Demonstrable experience of delivering and maintaining customer solutions
- Experience of leading a team, mentoring technical specialists or a strong desire to do so
- The drive to help support the growth of the data engineering capability through new ideas, capability development etc.
- Excellent team working and communication skills
- Experience in working as part of Agile and/or multi-disciplinary teams
- Live Security Clearance (or 5+ years’ UK residency in order to gain it)
- Experience or a clear desire to work in a technical consulting environment
- Experience or a clear desire to work in the UK Defence and Public sector
Ideally you will have demonstrable experience in several of these skill areas:
- Python and SQL
- Experience of open-source stacks including Apache (Airflow / Spark / Hadoop / NiFi) and others like Prefect (orchestration) and Neo4j (Graph db)
- Experience of ETL best practice (CI/CD, staging etc)
- Knowledge of data modelling, including data lakes and warehousing tools (like Databricks)
- Ingesting and processing streamed data
- Experience and/or knowledge of the SQL Stack (SSIS, SSAS, SSRS)
- Experience and/or knowledge of Azure and/or AWS data engineering tools
Hybrid Working and Travel
We offer a hybrid approach to working in the office and travelling to the office and client sites when appropriate. We have just moved into a new Techmodal Headquarters in the centre of Bristol with modern, functional, and spacious office facilities with a focus on collaborative ‘in person’ working.
We have a shared work ethic to go above and beyond for our customers, but we also like to have fun and reward hard work. With our teams currently working remotely, we are doing everything we can to ensure staff wellbeing and to keep up our regular staff socials virtually.
Our selection of lifestyle benefits and perks are regularly reviewed to ensure that there is something to suit everyone:
- Competitive Salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Contributory Pension
- 25 Days Annual Leave + Bank Holidays
- Additional day off for your Birthday
- Opportunity to purchase up to 5 days additional days Annual leave
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance paying 4 x salary
- Option to join the BAE Share Incentive Plan
- Generous sick pay
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption & Shared Parental Leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular staff socials
- Free daily fruit in the office
Nationality limitations: Techmodal, as part of BAE Systems is an inclusive employer, and we actively encourage people from all backgrounds to apply. A diverse team brings different perspectives and ideas, and fuels innovation. However, due to the nature of our business many of our roles require both security and export control restrictions. Therefore, your current or any previous nationality and/or your place of birth may limit the roles that you can carry out for us. Any such restrictions will be highlighted in the recruitment process. No agencies please.
If you have any questions, please email recruitment on firstname.lastname@example.org
Techmodal are a rapidly growing Applied Data Science and Technology business based in Bristol, UK. In 2020 we were acquired by BAE Systems, giving us access to a whole range of other exciting opportunities, while retaining our own identity. These are really exciting times for us and it’s a great time to join the team.
As one of the leading providers of data driven decision support within the Defence, Commercial and Public Sectors we offer specialist skills across supply chain, finance and personnel. We have grown over 30% each year for the last five years and our team of 170+ is still growing.
Our people are the lifeblood of our business which is why we put so much energy into making sure every single person has the opportunity to tailor their career and succeed in the way they want to. Whilst we have a big business mentality we have successfully maintained our small business culture, which means you’ll join a close-knit team of like-minded people to help support and progress you through your career with us.
perks of the job
Take a look through our benefits brochure for a full overview of the perks you can expect to enjoy.