We have an exciting opportunity for a Scrum Master to join our growing business. We are a rapidly growing Applied Data Science and Technology business based in Bristol, UK. In 2020 we were acquired by BAE Systems, giving us access to a whole range of other exciting opportunities, while retaining our own identity. These are really exciting times for us and it’s a great time to join the team.
Overview of the role:
We are looking for an enthusiastic, motivated and driven Scrum Master to lead a team through the delivery of digital services through Scrum or Kanban, supporting our Government and Defence clients transform their innovative data science, software and digital technology.
We help our customers by providing insights and solutions to enable the successful delivery of their objectives. We apply Agile methodology to deliver tangible value from software and digital technology projects, whilst championing the practical application of best practice standards and frameworks, e.g. GDS and DDaT.
Our ideal candidate will have excellent knowledge of the Agile methodologies used to deliver projects, specific knowledge of Scrum is desired, including Scrum ceremonies and artefacts. The candidate will require strong communication (verbal and written), thorough organisational skills and a keen eye on keeping the overarching goals of the team in line with requirements and stakeholder needs. If you possess these qualities, we would like to meet you.
- Lead the Agile development, educate and support the team to ensure Agile best practice is being followed
- Assist the self-organised, self-managing team to achieve its goals
- Empower the team and nurture a productive environment where team members own the product
- Enforcing the Agile rules, e.g. WIP (Work in Progress) limits
- Support estimating and encourage honest team discussions
- Support the Product Owner
- Where applicable co-ordinate with other Agile teams (Scrum of Scrums)
- Protect the team from being drawn away into other roles and activities outside of sprint goals
- Remove impediments/blockers from the team and where applicable escalate
- Coordinate and facilitate sprint ceremonies including daily stand ups, sprint reviews, sprint retrospectives, backlog refinements and sprint planning meetings.
- Facilitate internal and external communication and effective collaboration
- Ensure deliverables are up to quality standards (Definition of Done, Definition of Ready)
- Guide development teams to higher scrum maturity
The successful candidate was have:
- Professional Scrum Master certification or equivalent
- 3-5 years’ experience of managing agile teams
- Familiarity of working in a software development environment
- Excellent knowledge of Scrum methodology and artefacts (such as product backlog and sprint backlog)
- Excellent communication and servant leadership skills
- Problem-solving and conflict-resolution ability
- Outstanding organisational skills
- Hold live, or be eligible to obtain Security Clearance, with at least 5 years’ UK residency.
Whilst we try to minimise travel whenever possible and promote remote working, our consultants do sometimes travel to various client sites across the UK. We will cover all expenses whilst you are away and make sure you are well looked after.
Given Techmodal’s increasing level of work in and around the Portsmouth area, we are looking for candidates who are able to spend 2 or 3 days in Portsmouth per week and ideally on a daily commutable basis so as to enable flexibility for client needs.
Remote working during Covid-19
We are closely monitoring government guidelines during the pandemic to ensure the safety and wellbeing of our staff. At present most of our teams are working from home and only travelling to the office and client site when appropriate. All new starters joining the business will do so on a ‘temporary remote’ basis until it is safe to return to the office and our usual working practices.
We have a shared work ethic to go above and beyond for our customers, but we also like to have fun and reward hard work. With our teams currently working remotely, we are doing everything we can to ensure staff wellbeing and to keep up our regular staff socials virtually.
Our selection of lifestyle benefits and perks are regularly reviewed to ensure that there is something to suit everyone:
- Competitive Salary
- Performance related bonus scheme
- Contributory Pension
- 25 Days Annual Leave + Bank Holidays
- Additional day off for your Birthday
- Option to join the BAE Systems Share Incentive Plan
- Private Health Insurance
- Life Insurance paying 4 x salary
- Generous sick pay
- Enhanced Maternity, Paternity, Adoption & Shared Parental Leave
- Cycle to work scheme
- Regular staff socials
- Free daily fruit in the office
Please note that due to the nature of our work, we require all candidates to be eligible to successfully complete National Security Vetting.
To apply, please email your CV and covering letter to firstname.lastname@example.org. No agencies please.
As one of the leading providers of data driven decision support within the Defence, Commercial and Public Sectors we offer specialist skills across supply chain, finance and personnel. We have grown over 30% each year for the last five years and our team of 160+ is still growing.
Our people are the lifeblood of our business which is why we put so much energy into making sure every single person has the opportunity to tailor their career and succeed in the way they want to. Whilst we have a big business mentality we have successfully maintained our small business culture, which means you’ll join a close-knit team of like-minded people to help support and progress you through your career with us.
perks of the job
Take a look through our benefits brochure for a full overview of the perks you can expect to enjoy.